Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Some Loose Ends in Springville

     The last couple of weeks I have been covering lots of places in Springville.  While I am disappointed at some things that I still have yet to find any information about (like the roller mills, the Central School, and the sugar factory), I did want to conclude with a couple additional photos that I found.  The first picture is of the Crandall House in 1908:

Courtesy of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Brigham Young University

     When I went to this house, the current owner told me that all of the information regarding the house is located on the internet.  Well, I search for a while and found that "another popular style in [Springville] district at the turn of the century was the Romanesque Revival, also known as Victorian Romanesque.  The twin Crandall homes at 112 E. and 136 E. 200 N. are two-story, combination side-passage and central-block with Victorian Eclectic shingling and rusticated Romanesque entry."  That's about all of the history that I could find.  And that the houses are sometimes referred to as the Clarence L. and Nelson D. Crandall homes and that it has been on the national register of historic places since January 19, 1983.  So not too much information.  I really wanted to include these homes because they are so beautiful and well constructed.  Here is the rephotographed picture and then the two buildings from the front:




     I wanted to add two other pictures to close out my time for now in Springville.  The first is a picture of the original city hall, which was torn down in 1968.  I meant to add this photo to my post about downtown and the Star Theatre but I forgot.  The last is a photo from around 254 S Main and I forgot to rephotograph it.  I thought it was interesting and would add a nice contrast for anyone who decides to go and visit downtown Springville.

Courtesy of the Springville Family History Library 

Courtesy of the Springville Family History Library 

No comments:

Post a Comment